Union Minister Sushma Swaraj, in a statement, said that all employees are safe.
Kabul – A rocket has landed in our Chancery compound in Kabul. The rocket has clipped the top of the three storied ITBP barracks. There are no casualties. All Indians and staff are safe.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) January 15, 2018
MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said that there was no fire.
A rocket landed in the premises of our Embassy in Kabul a while ago causing minor damage to a structure at rear side of the Embassy compound. No fire or casualties. Our Charge d’ Affaires informs that all Embassy employees are safe.
— Raveesh Kumar (@MEAIndia) January 15, 2018
He also added that India’s Charge d’ Affaires over there had relayed the information that all employees working in the Embassy were safe.
No terror outfit has claimed responsibility for the incident yet, which raises the question of whether the Indian Embassy, which is located in a highly-diplomatic zone in Kabul, was a target in the first place, reports Times of India.
However, the possibility that this was a targeted attack shouldn’t be completely over-ruled, says Scroll .in. According to its report, the Embassy has been the target of similar attacks in the past.
For instance, in 2008, two Indian diplomats, two Indian security personnel and an Afghan driver had been killed and several others injured, due to a bomb planted in the car. The Haqqani network had been the prime suspect at the time, the report adds.
Panic gripped the Indian embassy in Kabul after a rocket landed in its premises causing minor damage to a structure on the rear side of the compound. The Ministry of External Affairs, however, said there was no fire or casualties.
“Our Charge d’ Affairs informs that all embassy employees in Kabul are safe,” the MEA said in a statement. Till now, no outfit has claimed the attack, even though the Taliban and Haqqani Network have carried out similar strikes in the past.