Too much consumption of sugar is bad for health. But a little bit of sugar in moderation isn’t as terrible as one thought, say researchers.
The sweet delicacies help in preventing ageing and ensuring proper blood flow as well as in losing weight and making you happy.
It’s that time of the year when chocolates are everywhere, so enjoy the delicacies without thinking twice as some of the research conducted by different brands suggests that chocolate can be good for you too.
1. Cocoa helps in blood flow: The main ingredient in chocolate contains a wonderful antioxidant called flavanol, which is found in plants. Scientists at headquarters of chocolate brand Mars Bar teamed up with the University of L’Aquila in Italy to find that these antioxidants can increase blood flow to the brain. The higher the cocoa content in your chocolate, the better it is for you.
2. Brain power: Scientists discovered you could have the brain power you had 20 years ago, if you consume plenty of flavanol-rich cocoa. To make the most of its health benefits, stick to ‘healthy’ variants with at least 70 percent cocoa.
3. Prevents ageing: The antioxidants found in fruit and vegetables, which help fight free-radicals that lead to wrinkles, are just as potent in cocoa-rich chocolate. Some research suggests that chocolates could be even more beneficial than fruit, because of their higher antioxidant level.
4. Makes you happy: Research published in the scientific journal Nutritional Neuroscience has suggested that chocolates can boost your mood and reduce symptoms of depression. Chocolates are also high in magnesium, which aids relaxation, and contain anandamide, a neurotransmitter that helps to regulate mood.
5. Lowers your cholesterol: Scientists believe that regular consumption of high cocoa-content chocolates can help lower your cholesterol and improve blood pressure. It’s all thanks to flavanols and plant sterols — both of which increase the flexibility of veins and arteries.
6. Losing weight: The good news is that you don’t have to give up your favourite sweet treat to slim down. Having a little bit of dark chocolate helps reduce the craving for other naughty foods, making it easier to stick to your diet. Eating a piece of chocolate each day or a whole chocolate bar one-two times a week is fine.